Best Hotels in Victoria Last Updated: February 24, 2023.
When it comes to beautiful cities in Canada, it’s hard to beat Victoria, BC.
Located on gorgeous Vancouver Island, Victoria is the capital city of British Columbia and really exemplifies its British colonial past through Victorian 19th-century architecture and its many gardens, which have also earned it the nickname “The Garden City”. However, it’s not just British charm that shines through in Victoria. The city is also home to the oldest Chinatown in Canada and offers a variety of outstanding cuisine, boutique and luxury accommodations, and great attractions.
So whether you’re spending a weekend in Victoria or using it as a base for exploring the rest of Vancouver Island, we’ve got you covered with this guide to the best hotels in Victoria, BC.
Best Places to Stay in Victoria, BC
- Downtown Victoria: This is definitely the best place to stay in the city as it’s close to many of the major attractions as well as boutique shops, bars and restaurants. Some popular places to visit nearby are Wharf Street, Bastion Square and Market Square.
- Chinatown: Located right next to downtown, Victoria, this is the oldest Chinatown in Canada and a great place to explore. It’s also close to many attractions, restaurants, and entertainment.
- James Bay: The oldest English part of town that is also located on the water with great views of the sea. Full of Victorian houses, there are some B&B and boutique hotels you can stay at. You’re close to the Parliament building, the Royal British Columbia Museum and Beacon Hill Park. The pier is a great place to enjoy sunsets and grab something to eat at Fisherman’s wharf.
- Oak Bay: A great place to stay if you’re looking to be near the water. It has a beautiful waterfront with many bays and parks. Oak Bay Avenue is one of the most picturesque streets in this part of town full of boutiques, restaurants, bars and galleries.
- West Shore: If you’re planning to do some outdoor activities, this is the right place for you. Even though it’s a 20 min drive from downtown Victoria, here you can also find colonial buildings and historic attractions such as the Road Hill Fort and the Fisgard Lighthouse.
- Rockland: A popular place to stay for families, Rockland is situated between downtown and Oak Bay. This is a residential area with beautiful mansions, including the Craigdarroch Castle, and close to many parks and gardens, as well as some of the city’s attractions, farmer’s markets, and the city observatory.
Boutique Hotels in Victoria, BC
If you’d prefer to skip the bigger hotels and resorts and opt for something more boutique, these are the best options in Victoria, BC.
Rated as the best Bed & Breakfast (adult-only) in Victoria, Fairholme Manor is a 125-year-old historic Italian mansion located in the popular district of Rockland and it’s right beside the Government House and gardens, one of the most beautiful gardens in the city.
If you like gardens, this is an ideal place to stay as it has one acre of lush gardens overlooking the Olympic Mountains and Juan de Fuca Straits.
It features a daily homemade breakfast with homemade jams, fresh-baked scones and fresh fruit, in the bright dining room or on the porch.
There are six elegant rooms and suites styled with hardwood floors, antique furniture and Persian rugs.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, and tea & coffee maker in all the rooms.
Located in downtown Victoria, Abigail’s Hotel is a boutique bed and breakfast (adult-only) built in the 1930s. This unique accommodation blends history and romance with the comfort and convenience of modern facilities.
There are 22 rooms and each one is uniquely decorated and only accessible via stairs. A gourmet breakfast is served each morning.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, 24-hr tea & coffee stations, 24-hr library lounge with daily newspapers, board games and books.
Magnolia Hotel & Spa is a small boutique hotel (adult-only) with luxury amenities, just steps away from Victoria’s Inner Harbour.
It features 64 rooms with serene décor, fine dining and spa treatments. Something that we love is that lends bikes to the guests, and has created seasonal biking and walking maps so visitors can explore on their own the best of Victoria.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, family rooms, spa & wellness centre, sauna, fitness centre, laundry, tea & coffee maker in all rooms.
- The Courtney Room: It offers a tasty breakfast and delicious dinners with seasonal flavours, craft beers and creative cocktails.
The Beaconsfield Inn is a unique bed & breakfast (adult-only) located in the heart of Victoria. This Edwardian heritage home was built in 1905 and it continues to preserve its original beauty combined with modern technology.
Each of the nine guestrooms is uniquely decorated with leaded stained-glass windows, a private bath and English antiques. Select rooms feature a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and chandeliers. Guests can also enjoy some time at the library with hundreds of books or wander around the beautiful gardens.
The Inn offers a homemade breakfast every morning as well as tea, coffee and cookies in the afternoon.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, breakfast included.
Luxury Hotels in Victoria, BC
If budget is of no concern and you simply want pure luxury, these are the best hotels in Victoria, BC.
The Fairmont Empress is known as Canada’s Castle on the Coast. It’s an award-winning Victoria hotel and a National Historic Site where classic meets contemporary.
It’s also located in an excellent location, within just a 5-minute walk away from the Royal B.C. Museum and opposite B.C.’s legislative building, overlooking the picturesque inner harbour.
It features Victorian architecture, 437 elegantly decorated rooms, shops, dining options, a bar, an indoor pool and a spa.
Amenities: Private parking, wheelchair accessibility, family rooms, pet-friendly, 24-hr front desk, fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, breakfast available.
- Q at the Empress: It offers a Pacific Northwest cuisine based on fresh local ingredients, sustainably sourced food and traditionally raised meats.
Located 15-min drive from downtown Victoria, Oak Bay Beach Hotel is a formal English manor house built in 1927 that overlooks the migration route of local Orca whales.
The local community of Oak Bay has an English character and it’s full of local craft stores and family-friendly trails to explore along the seashore.
The hotel features a list of all-inclusive extras such as shuttles to Oak Bay Village, three heated mineral pools, a boat house with a eucalyptus steam room, dinner shows with live performances, movie evenings and much more.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, family rooms, laundry, outdoor swimming pool, hot tubs, spa & wellness centre, fitness centre, tea & coffee maker in all rooms.
- Faro: With a Wood Stone pizza oven, it offers a seasonally changing menu that includes handcrafted Neapolitan-style pizzas, a variety of fresh salads and small bites, cocktails and local wines. Open for lunch and dinner.
- The Dining Room: A perfect place for a special occasion, offering a fine dining experience with fresh and local ingredients while enjoying stunning ocean views. With only 22 seats, the atmosphere is warm and inviting.
- The Snug Pub: This is the city’s first neighbourhood pub with floor-to-ceiling ocean views offering good food and spirits.
Nestled along the island shore, the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort overlooks the Inner Harbour and it’s only a 15-min scenic walk over the Johnson Street Bridge to downtown.
All the resort rooms feature a work desk and a seating area, and views of the waterfront are available in select rooms.
Guests can enjoy a large indoor pool, an award-winning spa, a modern fitness centre, on-site tennis and racquetball courts as well as electric scooter rentals.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, pet-friendly, wheelchair accessibility, indoor swimming pool, spa & wellness centre, fitness centre, 24-hr front desk, tea & coffee maker in all rooms, breakfast available.
- LURE Restaurant & Bar: With waterfront views, here you can enjoy a delicious breakfast and dinner as well as craft cocktails.
- Harbour Grab ‘n Go: Offering Starbuck coffee and teas and to do breakfast, snack and lunch items.
If you’re looking for a luxury experience to sit back and relax, Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa is ideal for you.
Nestled in a small valley along Brentwood Bay, a 30-min drive away from downtown Victoria and only a 5-min drive from the popular Butchart Gardens, this luxurious resort offers an on-site marina and unobstructed views of the bay and forest.
Historically, the property has been a refuge for sailors making their way down to the Saanich inlet and it continues its tradition by providing rooms with a private balcony or patio, ocean views, a full-service spa and an Eco-Adventure Centre that offers recreational activities such as kayaking, fishing, scuba-diving, eco-tours and more.
Amenities: Free parking, wheelchair accessibility, outdoor swimming pool, spa & wellness centre, fitness centre, tea & coffee maker in all rooms, breakfast available.
- The Arbutus Room: Offering West Coast cuisine with local ingredients.
- The Pub: This is a meeting place for locals, offering elevated pub eats with bustling music and chatter.
Dog-Friendly Hotels in Victoria, BC
If you’re planning to bring your pooch on your next vacation, these are the best hotels in Victoria, BC that allow fur babies.
Located in an excellent location, only a 5-min walk from Royal B.C. Museum, Maritime Museum of B.C. and the Bay centre, the Victoria Marriot Inner Harbour is a pet-friendly hotel that provides everything you need while visiting Victoria for business or leisure.
All the rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows, revealing stunning views of downtown Victoria as well as a work desk with ergonomic chairs and accessible outlets.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, pet-friendly, family rooms, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, tea & coffee maker in all rooms, breakfast available.
- Fire & Water Restaurant: With a relaxing atmosphere, the restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner where you can savour authentic seafood made from local ingredients. Stop for happy hour in the bar and lounge.
- Fire & Water Patio: Take the sights and sounds of Victoria from its street-level out patio while enjoying locally sourced seafood or perfectly seared steaks.
The Oswego Hotel is a fantastic 4-star and pet-friendly hotel located in the popular and beautiful neighbourhood of James Bay, right in downtown Victoria.
This is an ideal place to stay for families or for winter long stays as all 80 rooms have a West Coast style featuring modern furnishing, full kitchens and large windows with panoramic views over Victoria.
Amenities: Private parking, family rooms, pet-friendly, wheelchair accessibility, fitness centre, full kitchen.
- Bar 500: Offering brunch from Wednesday to Sunday (8:30 am to 1 pm), dinner from Thursday to Saturday (5 pm to 9 pm0 and happy hour on Friday and Saturday (3 pm to 5 pm). Enjoy a delicious breakfast with local coffee and homemade pastries. And in the evening, grab dinner with locally sourced and foraged ingredients paired with a glass of wine, cocktail or local draught beer.
With stunning views of Victoria’s Inner Harbour and serene surroundings, the Inn at Laurel Point is one of the best luxury and pet-friendly hotels in Victoria, BC.
The hotel features an indoor pool, restaurant and bar, all located in a large public area that connects the two wings of the hotel.
All 200 rooms and suites balance clean and classic design elements with a modern style, all offering private balconies and phenomenal harbour views.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, pet-friendly, family rooms, wheelchair accessibility, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, breakfast available
- Aura Waterfront Restaurant & Patios: With stunning views of the city’s inner harbour, the restaurant offers daily breakfast (7 am to 10:45 am), brunch on the weekends (7 am to 1:30 pm), happy hour from Thursday to Monday (4 pm to 5 pm), and dinner from Thursday to Friday (5 pm to 9 pm). The menu combines local farm-to-table ingredients with international flavours on sharable plates as well as craft beer and unique cocktails.
Cheap Hotels in Victoria, BC
While these hotels are not as expensive as the other hotels featured in this guide to the best hotels in Victoria, they still offer beautiful rooms, glowing reviews, and all the amenities you need. However, please note that these hotels are only cheaper in comparison to other top-rated hotels in Victoria. They are still around $300 per night. If you’re looking for a truly cheap hotel, there are more options but they lack the good reviews that we aim for in these travel guides.
Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel Victoria is centrally located in downtown Victoria, only a 7-min walk from the Inner Harbour, Royal B.B. Museum and legislative buildings.
All guest rooms are equipped with a refrigerator, stove-top oven, and a kitchen sink as well as a pullout couch, perfect for a family getaway.
Amenities: Private parking, free wifi, family rooms, fitness centre, laundry, 24-hr front desk, barber/beauty shop, tea & coffee maker in all rooms.
The Ruby On Johnson: Funky spot with vinyl tunes offering creative brunch and dinner with coffee, craft beer & cocktails.
Recently renovated, the James Bay Inn Hotel is a Victorian heritage hotel located a 14-min walk away from downtown Victoria.
All guest rooms are bright and some of them include a kitchen, a balcony and garden views.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, and family rooms.
- JBI Restaurant Café: Offering breakfast, lunch and dinner in a comfortable atmosphere.
- JBI Pub: Offering pub classic bites, lunches and dinners. Guests can play pool, darts and keno.
If you’re looking to stay in a heritage home at a great value, Marketa’s Bed and Breakfast is a great place to stay. This is where we stayed during our 150-day road trip across Canada and we really enjoyed it.
This is an Edwardian heritage home built in 1912, where guests can experience comfort and hospitality in beautifully decorated rooms.
You can choose from private to shared bathroom guest rooms but they all include a delicious complete homemade breakfast every morning, which can be enjoyed in the sunny breakfast rooms or terrace.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, breakfast included.
Unique Hotels in Victoria, BC
If you’re looking for something truly unique, this section is for you.
Located on Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf floating village, there is nothing more unique than staying in a houseboat in Victoria.
It offers two guest rooms located on the ground floor with a private bathroom, coffee machine and refrigerator, featuring a private patio with a seating area to enjoy the view of the water.
A breakfast voucher is provided for a bistro located on the wharf that offers organic and gluten-free options.
Amenities: Free parking, free wifi, tea and coffee maker in all rooms.
Want More Things to Do?
Now that you’ve secured one of the best hotels in Victoria, BC, you’re probably wondering what to do in terms of activities, attractions, restaurants, and more. Plus, there’s so much more to Vancouver Island than just Victoria. For more ideas, check out these guides below: